Organization titans across media, tech and leisure will occur alongside one another this week for the famous “Sunlight Valley” summer months convention.
Why it matters: The gathering, which usually serves as a car or truck for substantial-profile offer-building and is hosted by expenditure firm Allen & Co., will be a barometer for how electric power brokers are approaching industries considerably transformed by the pandemic.
- Increased focus toward streaming, gaming, cryptocurrency and e-commerce will place executives at companies like Netflix, Activision Blizzard, Coinbase and Shopify in the highlight.
A ton has modified because the final time this team has congregated at the Sunlight Valley Vacation resort in central Idaho.
- Many new faces will represent their providers as chief executives this calendar year, such as Amazon’s Andy Jassy and Disney’s Bob Chapek.
- Noticeably absent from the listing of attendees are any executives from TikTok or its mother or father company ByteDance, as properly as AT&T CEO John Stankey, who earlier this yr declared ideas to spin out two of the firm’s media investments — DirecTV and WarnerMedia. There doesn’t show up to be any other AT&T executives attending in his location. Discovery President and CEO David Zaslav will be there.
The massive image: The once-a-year conference, known for its exclusivity and everyday small business apparel, presents significant-run executives the prospect to fulfill privately and hash out partnerships and deals.
- Some of the major media deals about the previous handful of many years, such as Verizon’s acquisition of AOL, Comcast’s acquisition of NBCUniversal and Jeff Bezos’ purchase of The Washington Post, have appear out of the conference.
Go further … A couple of names of people today attending, in accordance to a list attained by Axios:
- Journalists: CBS News host Gayle King, Washington Post columnist David Ignatius, CNBC anchor Andrew Ross Sorkin, CNN anchor Erin Burnett
- Media and telecom: Mike Bloomberg, IAC’s Barry Diller and Joey Levin, Axel Springer SE’s Mathias Döpfner, NBCUniversal’s Jeff Shell, Comcast’s Brian Roberts, Hearst’s Steve Swartz, Information Corp’s Robert Thomson, Verizon’s Hans Vestberg, Discovery’s David Zaslav
- Tech and ecommerce: Alphabet’s Sundar Pichai, Amazon’s Jeff Bezos and Andy Jassy, Apple’s Tim Prepare dinner, Microsoft’s Satya Nadella, Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg, Marne Levine and Dave Wehner, Shopify’s Tobi Lütke, Stripe’s Patrick Collison, Snap’s Michael Lynton and CEO Evan Spiegel, AirBnB’s Brian Chesky, Walmart’s Doug McMillon and Greg Penner
- Entertainment: Disney’s Bob Iger and Bob Chapek, Visualize Entertainment’s Brian Grazer, Netflix’s Reed Hastings and Ted Sarandos, WarnerMedia’s Jason Kilar, National Amusements’ Shari Redstone
- Sports activities and gaming: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, Boston Purple Sox Operator John Henry, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, New England Patriots operator Robert Kraft, MLB Commissioner Bob Manfred, PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan, Activision Blizzard’s Brian Kelly and CEO Bobby Kotick
- Investing: Berkshire Hathaway’s Warren Buffett, Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong, WndrCo’s Jeffrey Katzenberg, Greylock Partners’ Reid Hoffman, Andreesen Horowitz’s Marc Andreesen and Ben Horowitz, Sequoia Capital’s Doug Leone, SoFi’s Anthony Noto, Bain Capital’s Steve Pagliuca